Monday, September 29, 2014

Jerome, Arizona

Perched high atop Cleopatra Hill overlooking the Verde Valley is the historic ghost town of Jerome, Arizona.
Once a thriving copper mining town, Jerome has survived by becoming a mecca for tourists.

The area was first inhabited by Natives as far back as 1100 A.D. By the time Spanish explorers came to the region in 1582, the Yavapai Indians were settled there. After the Mexican-American war ended in 1848 and the region became part of the United States, more Anglo-Americans began to settle the area. In 1863, gold was discovered near Prescott and thousands of miners flooded the region.
By the 1880’s investors saw the potential in copper and a number of mines were established, including the United Verde Copper Company in 1882. The town of Jerome was bustling and by 1899 had become the fifth largest city in the territory.

After the war, the price of copper ore declined and was harder and harder to extract from the mountain.
By the time the Great Depression began, Jerome was in a full blown depression and by 1930, all the mines had closed.
In 1935, Phelps Dodge bought up the vast majority of mining operations in the area and began to mine again, this time on a larger scale, using tons of explosives and creating a huge open pit just north of the town. Using a full scale underground railroad, the ore was moved to a new smelter in Clarksdale. The constant blasting and tunneling below the surface of the mountain had negative effects on the city of Jerome, as the town began to slide down the hill.
In 1952, Phelps Dodge closed its operations in Jerome forever. During its 70 years in operation, the United Verde Mine and others in the area produced in excess of $1 billion in copper, gold, silver, zinc and lead.

A mile north of Jerome is an old mining camp called Haynes. In 1890, it was the home of the Gold King Mine and a bustling suburb of Jerome. Astride one of the richest copper deposits in history, the Haynes Copper Company sank a shaft 1200 feet into the mountain and found gold. In 1901 it boasted a population of 301 people.

But, for Haynes, like Jerome and other area mines, the ore wouldn't last forever. In the 1960s it was sold and turned into a "ghost town" tourist attraction. Today, it is filled with a number of old buildings, a petting zoo, a walk-in mine, antique vehicles, and old machinery, much of which still operates today.

William Andrews Clark
Clark made his greatest fortune in the Southwest. His United Verde copper mine, in Jerome, Ariz., yielded a profit of $400,000 a month, or in today's dollars, $10 million a month. The trading post of Las Vegas was a stop on his rail line. Las Vegas today is in Clark County, named for him.

See ----->

Thursday, September 25, 2014

Top American Muscle Cars

The 1964 Pontiac GTO was considered the pioneer in muscle cars. "GTO" stood for Gran Turismo Omologato.
The first generation of GTOs (until 1973) was based on two other existing models, the Pontiac Tempest and LeMans that were in production since the early 60s. The name GTO was coined by Pontiac’s Chief Engineer John DeLorean, who was motivated by Ferrari 250 GTO.
1967 Pontiac GTO. 1967 marked the first availability of ram air through a functional hood scoop on the GTO. It was a 400-cubic-inch V-8, delivering 360 horsepower. The high output engine produced the most power for that year at 360 hp (270 kW) at 5100 rpm, and produced 438 lb·ft at 3600 rpm.
1968 Plymouth Road Runner Hemi. The Plymouth Road Runner Hemi was pure brawn with a 425-horsepower, 426-cubic-inch Hemi V-8 engine.

Plymouth licensed the Road Runner name and likeness from Warner Brothers. It went a step further by developing a horn sound imitating the cartoon bird's "beep-beep,"
1969 Ford Mustang Boss 429. Fewer than 1,400 were built between 1969 and 1970. Its 429-cubic-inch V-8 engine delivered 375-horsepower. It was basically hand-built. Ford farmed out its assembly to Michigan-based Kar Kraft. Very little distinguished the Boss 429 other than a hood scoop and trunk-mounted spoiler.
1969 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1. With fewer than 70 ever built, the '69 ZL1 had the most powerful Chevrolet engine offered to the public for decades. It's the rarest production car Chevrolet ever made.

Based on Chevrolet's iconic 427 V-8 engine, the ZL power plant had an aluminum block in place of the regular 427's iron one. Although it was officially rated at the regular 427's 430 horsepower, testers pegged the output as being much higher.
1970 Buick GSX Stage 1. Of the 687 GSXs built, 488 were ordered with the Stage 1 upgrade. By 1970, a 455-cubic-inch V-8 engine powered the Gran Sport. It produced a hefty 510 pounds-foot of torque.
1970 Plymouth Barracuda. 1970 Plymouth Barracuda, the big dog, was armed with the dual-carburetor, 426-cubic-inch Hemi that whipped up 425 horsepower. The Hemi 'Cuda could go toe to toe with the era's top-tier muscle cars, as the carmaker gave its muscle cars a suspension tailored to heavy-metal acceleration.
1970 Chevrolet Chevelle SS 454. Chevrolet offered two versions of the 454-cubic-inch V-8. The LS5 generated 360 horsepower, while the LS6 punched out a whopping 450. It's the LS6 version, with its Holley four-barrel carburetor, that put the SS 454 on the map. No other muscle car would equal the horsepower wallop of the 1970 SS 454.

See ----->

Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Crescent Point Energy Corp. - CPG.t

Crescent Point Energy Corp. - CPG.t is a conventional oil and gas producer with high-quality light and medium oil and natural gas assets across western Canada and the United States.

On September 23, 2014 the company released News

Crescent Point Energy Corp. (“Crescent Point” or the “Company”) (TSX and NYSE: CPG) has closed its recently announced bought deal financing for an offering of 17,290,000 Crescent Point common shares at $43.40 per share to raise gross proceeds of approximately $750 million. The underwriters have also exercised in part their over-allotment option to purchase an additional 1,145,000 Crescent Point common shares at the offering price. As a result, a total of 18,435,000 Crescent Point common shares have been issued at a price of $43.40 per share for aggregate gross proceeds of approximately $800 million.

The syndicate of underwriters was co-led by BMO Capital Markets and Scotiabank, and included CIBC, RBC Capital Markets, TD Securities Inc., FirstEnergy Capital Corp., National Bank Financial Inc., GMP Securities L.P., Goldman Sachs Canada Inc., Macquarie Capital Markets Canada Ltd., Merrill Lynch Canada Inc., Peters & Co. Limited, Desjardins Securities Inc. and Raymond James Ltd.

The common shares issued under the offering will be eligible to receive the dividend for the month of September 2014, which is expected to be paid on October 15, 2014.